Monday, February 22, 2010

Out of Context Dr. Suess

I took Maddie and Andrew into Manhattan last Wednesday during April break. Maddie went to American Girl store or as we like to call it at our house, the Here-Just-Take-All-My-Money-and-My-First-Born-so-I-Can-Buy-My-Daughter-a-Costume-for-Her-Doll store. Andrew got a trip to Build-a-Bear on 5th Avenue near the American Girl Place. You would think these children would appreciate the lengths I go to for them to have fun on their breaks and act accordingly.

For those of you not familiar with autistic quirks, Andrew often engages in something called echolalia, which is basically repeating favorite phrases over and over and over and over...... His favorite is to quote movies, shows, books, etc. His favorite book is "Green Eggs and Ham," so that gets quoted A LOT.

You are now ready to picture my humiliation as we walk the 7 blocks up 5th Avenue to the stores with my son loudly proclaiming "Would you, could you in the dark?" followed by "Would you, could you with a goat?" I am not making this up or exaggerating-those really were the two lines he picked out of that entire book. So, I tried to make up for it by loudly filling in with the refrain, "I do not like Green Eggs and Ham, I do not like them Sam-I-Am!!" Maddie would have given anything to not have been anywhere near us during that walk.

Sorry no pics-I was too busy being overwhelmed mom that day.

1 comment:

Caitlin and Tim said...

Hahahaha!! Wendy, I love the stories you have about your children! I'm sure that was quite interesting, hopefully you didn't get too many funny looks!