Saturday, September 11, 2010

The Best Candy Store in NYC

Maddie and I went to the city for a Mommy/Daughter trip yesterday. She has read the new American Girl doll books that take place in early 1900s in New York. The Rebecca books. I wanted to take her to the Tenement Museum www.tenement.org to see what it was like to live back then. We did the Piecing it Together tour and loved it. I especially love the museum gift shop though. They have the funnest stuff. Umbrellas printed with maps of NY and posters with the subway lines, etc. Did not buy one thing, but boy did I want to. Just my kind of store.

Anyway, the museum is on the Lower East Side near Delancy. A part of Manhattan that I've never been to so I did an online search to find things in the area. I stumbled across the Economy Candy store. www.economycandy.com Finally, a candy store in NYC that does not charge you MORE than what you would pay in your own grocery stores back home for the same candy. (Yes, M&M and Hershey stores--I am referring to you) They also have every kind of candy you can imagine. We ended up getting this gigantic wax lips for the kids-pictures posted below. Why hasn't anyone ever told me about the Lower East Side? I would much rather shop there than the money vortex that is Downtown anyday.

My favorite part about Economy Candy? The owner has pictures of himself with celebrities that have come in-Mike Meyers, Jude Law, one of the Olsen twins. Are they framed up front? Nope, they're Polaroids that are stuck to the side of the Snapple cooler at the back of the store. LOVE IT!

2 comments:

anneski said...

Wendy this is our blog...

kyleandila.blogspot.com

Also I was checking out your summer photos and NYC M&M store/museum is the same with OUTRAGEOUS prices. for the amount they ask for a lb. you could get at least 4 bags of 2lb. m&ms when they are on sale for $2.50 it blew me away too. fun to read your blog and your post from the cousin update

Katrina said...

Stop, ya makin' me want to go to NYC again! (Since Clay's not there for Spamalot, not sure it's worth it. ;)

But between a fun candy store, and all my favorite bakeries, that may be all I need. Well, that and the money to get there!

Have you ever had a cookie at Levain Bakery? BEST in the world!